Friday, February 3, 2012

Grapefruit and Oranges - OH MY!




Boy do we have an abundance!  These trees were here in our yard when we moved in.  The grapefruit goes crazy every year!  Unfortunately, no one in our family likes them.  I usually have a couple of friends who come over and pick a few, but really, how many grapefruit does a person really need?  Each year we watch the fruit fall and splatter on the patio, making a big mess. 


This year is going to be different!  We have decided to donate the fruit to the food bank.  YAY!  I am excited to get picking and see how many pounds we end up with!  I have given notice to my friends that they have one week.  That means that after next weekend, there will be no more mess.  WHOOT!





Now for the oranges.  These, we LOVE!  But what to do with them?  I have heard of pickling them in salt to use in cooking.  hmm...not sure I would use them.  The juice doesn't really freeze well.  I might try again, but it tends to separate and not come back together well.  I can't find much on preserving them other than canning in heavy syrup - blah.  I guess, we will just start eating oranges morning, noon and night.  Manna from heaven! :)  If anyone has any great preserving ideas, I am open.  Please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment