Saturday, December 31, 2011

Day 3 – Chickens and Education - 12/30/2011

Today was nursery day!  I hit up our local nursery, you know the one, expensive but the people there actually KNOW something?  That’s the one.  It was dead, so I had the garden expert all to myself for a long time.  He told me that my best bet for the back yard it so rototill the whole thing.  How the heck am I going to do that???  I have an email into my nephew begging for help.  It’s worth a shot.  Maybe if I just dig up a little bit each day with a shovel, that will work.  Where there is a will, there is a way! 
I am scrapping the planter box idea.  It is WAY too expensive.  My plants will just have to fight with the Bermuda grass that I am sure will try to take over again.  It will be a battle, but with enough diligence, I am sure we can beat it!  My secret weapon may be the chickens! 

Chickens, chickens, chickens…I looked at a cool website for chickens. Www.mypetchicken.com  There are so many cool looking breeds!  Chickens eat bugs and snails too.  I got the kids oohing and ahhing over the different pictures and the thought of BLUE EGGS!  They started to get excited about the thought of chickens.  Bryan was listening and started to hear about all of the benefits of having chickens.  He is starting to come around and be interested too!  WHOOT!  Now, if only we can find a cheap chicken coop!  It sounds expensive to build one.  With the expense of putting in a garden, this may be too much.  This is just more to figure out.
Back to the nursery: I did buy some plants!  I bought a 6 pack salad mix – I am sure Bryan will call them weeds J, regular lettuce, onions, cilantro, parsley and carrot seeds for those awesome Kaleidoscope Carrot mix!  Brendan is excited to help me plant those!  The nursery didn’t have the blue potatoes.  I need to keep looking.  I really don’t want to spend $16 for 10 spuds.  I don’t have a place for 10 plants!  Tomorrow is planting day!  Bring it on!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Susan,
    my friend has two cute chickens (Henny and Penny) in her semi-suburban back yard. She got an adorable coop [Eglu Go with run] from Omlet UK (her 15 year old son put it together).
    Here's the link: http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_services/products_services.php?view=Eglu%20Go

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks Kim. I will look at that. I also just found out that citrus is toxic to chickens. There is a big lemon tree where I was going to keep the chickens. DOH! Gotta re-think things again! :)

    ReplyDelete